if is a light and experimental attempt to combine the techniques and strategies that I use for writing with dice--- organizing my solo plays into narratively cohesive, satisfying stories--- with some of my favorite inspirational tables and procedures for playing with dice. It is system and genre agnostic, asking you to bring your own assumptions and concepts. It contains:
- a simple character and resolution system that can quickly be replaced with one you like better
- a robust soloing oracle designed to always tell you what to write next
- a framework for progressing through the story towards a conclusion, built on my favorite writing patterns
- a bunch of inspirational tables geared towards writing with dice
- a cheerful and motivational aesthetic, sans skeletons or swords
This is a very specific kind of game tailored for a very specific audience, pushing some of the boundaries of what you might think "a game" is. I wrote it as October's game of the month but it took longer to decorate and playtest than I expected. Enjoy!